- A strong personal statement is required, conveying an enthusiasm and passion for the subject, working with young people and teaching and learning.
- Two references: Including a satisfactory academic (university) reference OR a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study.
We strongly recommend that you obtain a minimum of 5 days secondary school experience in a mainstream UK secondary school observing a class in your chosen teaching specialism before applying. This experience is essential if you are selected for interview as you will be expected to reflect on it during the process.
Eligibility and Compliance
To be eligible to apply for our School Direct programme, you will need to have secured a UK Undergraduate degree or a recognised equivalent qualification at 2.2 or above. Ideally your degree will be in the subject you wish to teach. However, if your degree subject does not match closely to the chosen subject, you may be eligible for a Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses and we will help you to make arrangements for this. Further information regarding Subject Knowledge Enhancement can be found on The National College for Teaching and Learning website.
- GCSE / University grades
- Skills tests
- All offers will be subject to an enhanced DBS check
- Medical questionnaire
Relevent degree / Subject Knowledge Enhancement
- School experience
Below is indicative of our interview process which will however be flexible to your needs and ours.
- You will be required to deliver a 3 minute presentation at interview on “Why you want to be a teacher and what you will bring to the role”.
- During the Interview Process, you will also take part in a lesson within your subject area or phase. You will be observed during this lesson and it is your opportunity to interact with some of our students.
- Also during the interview process, you will undertake two written tasks, one on subject knowledge and one on a current issue in education.
- All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain an enhanced DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) if successful. You will also be asked to complete an anonymous medical questionnaire.